19 Dec Chicken Pilaf
- A pack of organic chicken legs/thighs (approx. 6 pieces)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 250g brown rice
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 800ml chicken stock
- Handful of raisins
- Optional: flaked almonds for serving
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in large frying pan and brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the coriander, chilli, turmeric and caraway seeds coating the chicken.
- Put the chicken in to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the oil to the frying pan and add the garlic, onion and red pepper.
- Cook until soft before adding the rice. Coat the rice and then transfer to the slow cooker. Add the stock, chickpeas, raisins and bay leaves.
- Stir and then put the lid on the slow cooker. Turn heat setting to low and cook for 4-5 hours. The rice will absorb the liquid and you will be left with a fluffy pilaf. Serve with side salad or extra vegetables or simply on its own.