- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeling and crushed
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 125g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small aubergine, finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100ml of vegetable stock
- ½ -2 tsp chilli powder (depending how hot you like it)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- a pinch of mixed herbs
- 400g tin of red kidney beans
- Gently cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the mushrooms, aubergines, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, stock, beans, spices and herbs and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 mins, stirring from time to time.
- Serve with brown rice or taco shell and salad plus a dollop of hummus.
- As a variation, you can also add sweetcorn.